Ideas for Omer counters:
YARDSTICK OMER COUNTER
- a yardstick, poster board, cardboard or paper
- an elastic band, hair elastic, or stickers
- glue stick or tape
- cut strips of paper or poster board the size of a yardstick
- measure in 3/4 inch increments
- number each increment from 1-49
For a permanent counter:
-dap glue along the length of the yardstick every few inches and place your omer counter along the yardstick, press along to make it stick.
For a temporary counter (or if you want to restore your yardstick for non Omer measuring purposes) use tape.
To count the Omer, move an elastic band over the numbers, or place a sticker on each day consecutively until Shavuot.
ABACUS OMER COUNTER
‘Do not disturb’ hanger that fits on a doorknob
Wooden beads or seeds- (with/make center hole)
- measure the width of the door hanger
- cut 7 pieces of elastic 2x the width
- thread 7 beads/seeds on each length of elastic
- wrap each elastic around the hanger & tie a triple knot.
- place all the knots on the same side of the hanger, and the beads on the opposite side
Enhanced counter (‘hiddur mitsva’:)
Materials: markers, paints etc.
on one side of the door hanger, paint/draw a picture relating to the Omer or Shavuot, or print the brachot for counting the Omer
on the other side, draw a picture of Har Sinai, or the ten commandments or the Torah
BEAN/SEED OMER COUNTER
- 2 small recycled containers and 49 beans or seeds
- a piece of paper and crayon/pencil/marker/stickers
- trace your feet the paper, and cut your tracing out
- place 49 beans or seeds in a container
- decorate and label the second container ‘My Omer counter’
- each night place a bean in your Omer counter
- draw a line/seed on your foot cutout
- on Lag b’Omer (night 33), switch to drawing on the other foot cutouts
ACCORDIAN OMER COUNTER
-paper, scissors, markers, crayons or pencils, paperclip
- cut the paper into long strips, about 4” wide
- tape ends together making a 100” strip (4” wide)
- fold the paper strip accordion style, each fold 2 inches apart
- leave the cover pages blank
- opening from right to left, number each page 1-49
- decorate the front and back covers